This minimally invasive treatment is an outpatient procedure performed using ultrasound guidance. After numbing the vein with a local anesthetic, a thin fiber is inserted in the vein using ultrasound guidance. Radiofrequency or laser energy generates heat. This heat cauterizes the vein and seals the vein closed. By sealing the vein with the leaky valves, the varicose veins, which are close to the skin, shrink and improve in appearance. Once the diseased vein is closed, other healthy veins take over to carry blood from the leg, re-establishing normal flow.
Benefits of Vein Ablation Treatment
- The outpatient treatment takes less than an hour and provides immediate relief of symptoms
- Minimally invasive alternative to surgical “vein stripping”
- Immediate return to normal activity with little or no pain; there may be minor soreness or bruising, which can be treated with over-the-counter pain relievers
- No scars or stitches – because the procedure does not require a surgical incision, just a nick in the skin, about the size of a pencil tip
- High success rate and low recurrence rate compared to surgery
- The success rate for vein ablation ranges from 93-95%.
Most insurance carriers cover the vein ablation treatment, based on medical necessity for symptom relief. Contact your provider for more information.